The Morning Routine of Elon Musk: How The Tesla CEO Stays Productive

morning routine of elon musk
morning routine of elon musk

Sleep isn’t for everyone. Well, at least the recommended eight hours of sleep per night rule isn’t for everyone. 

I don’t know about you, but if I am not averaging seven to eight hours of sleep per night, I am on the struggle bus the next day.

Elon Musk is one of those individuals who appears to be doing just fine despite not getting an average of eight hours of sleep per night. Musk has always had his own way of doing things so it’s no surprise that the billionaire says that he only needs six hours of sleep. 

After not getting to bed until after midnight, the first thing that Musk does when he wakes up at 7 a.m. is responds to urgent and important emails for a half hour.

After a quick shower, Musk will send his five sons off to school and will drive into work. 

If you are a breakfast person, Musk’s routine is not for you. The 48-year-old says that he is too busy to eat breakfast, and only occasionally will he go out of his way to slow down and grab a quick cup of coffee. 

Once Musk gets into the office, it’s go-time! Between his two companies (SpaceX and Tesla), Musk has become known to work between 85 to 100 hours per week.

If a typical 40-hour workweek consists of five eight-hour days, how many hours a day on average is Musk working? I’ll let you do the math!

At the office, Musk is spending 80 percent of his time trying to engineer and design the next-generation product. The other 20 percent of his day consists of face-to-face meetings.

Elon Musk isn’t a fan of using his phone either, as he says that it causes him to stray off task, and he likes to use a secondary email as his personal one to avoid people spamming him with unimportant requests. 

morning routine of Elon Musk

Some Downfalls From The Morning Routine of Elon Musk

There are two things that stick out to me about Elon Musk’s daily routine that I can’t say that I am a fan of.

1. EXERCISE

Musk is not a fan of exercising.

Most successful entrepreneurs have come to understand the importance of physical well-being. Not only does exercise keep the body healthy, but it also helps the mind stay in shape as well.

With working more than 80 hours per week, it may do Musk some good to take some time to fit in a quick 30-45 minute workout in his day more than once or twice per week. 

2. NUTRITION

Nutrition is another thing that is not at the top of Musk’s priority list. Not only does Musk not enjoy starting his day off with a good breakfast, but he also doesn’t make time for lunch.

If he does eat lunch, he usually grabs something quick and brings it with him into his next meeting. 

Musk admits that when he does indulge in food, it is usually at business dinners where he admits that he tends to “eat way too much.” 

Personally, I don’t know if this would be the best fit for me, but if it works for him, then all the more power to him!

FINAL THOUGHTS

Between Jeff Bezos, Tim Cook, and now Musk, it’s clear to see that there is no “secret routine” to find success. Every one of these three entrepreneurs has their own unique morning routine and have still managed to find astronomical amounts of success.

It just goes to show you that no matter how different you may be or what you enjoy doing, there isn’t anything that you can’t achieve when you work hard.

What do you think about the morning routine of Elon Musk? Do you think you could operate without breakfast, caffeine, or exercise?

Michael Bonnell

Yesterday’s post: 6 Helpful Ways To Live A More Positive Life

Share This!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *